The major tip I can offer for all those new with radar detectors, a detector alone is not good enough. A cop might not turn on their radar or have insta-on system until you are close by... so you need something like "Waze" to alert you of reported cops. This is critical when a cop is using "laser" gun to calculate your speed. Unlike radar, lasar have a near instant lock of your speed and only your car. You rarely will detect laser from when a cop is pointing it at another car ahead. Meaning, if your detector warns of laser, typically is just mean that your ticket is coming soon (if you are speeding). I personally just turn off laser detection for this reason. Only Waze and your esye help in this situation as a cop really need a good line of sight of oncoming traffic, which also means that they have to be visible for all passing cars. As long as someone reports a cop on Waze, you typically will have plenty of warning to adjust your speed. Obviously if no one reports a cop then there isn't much you can do (unless you want a laser jammer which are very expensive). In short your radar detector become a second layer protection before your eyes can be. You just need to get in the habit of having Waze running everywhere you go.
In summary, I wanted to share this info with all of you so you all can enjoy some extra piece of mind when driving your Audi like I do. Obviously avoid speeding and you won't need this, but if that isn't possible for you, well you got a good bit of info to help you out. Enjoy!
- Current Radar Detector: Uniden R3 - https://amzn.to/2WTn9I5
- How to best program your R3: https://www.vortexradar.com/2017/06/how-to-program-and-set-up-your-uniden-r1-and-r3/
- Recommend Radar Detector: Uniden R7 - https://amzn.to/2WLj6gK
- How to best program your R7: https://www.vortexradar.com/2019/04/how-to-set-up-configure-uniden-r7-radar-detector/
- Hardware Kit : Uniden RDA-HDWKT - https://amzn.to/2Aqfdqd