I sanded it all down and tried again, but pained it black. All look good until I picked up the lip after it was drying and all of the clearcoat started to crack. It hit me after the fact that the humidity was too high and I was not allowing enough time between coats. This is a fail on my part.
Waiting a day I started to sand it down once more. At this point I've almost paid the same amount in sand paper as I have in the lip itself ($30). This project was failing fast. After hours of sanding I put the lip on the trunk of my car just to keep it off the ground. Next day I leave for work planning on coming home during lunch to prime it and start the process again. I get home for lunch and I can't find my lip. So I pull up my home security cameras and see where things went wrong.... like an idiot I drove off with the lip just laying on the on my trunk. I drive the same route back to work to see if I can find it but no luck. At this point I consider that lip is lost so I go back on to eBay and buy a new painted lip. The painted lip was $20 more and I'm kicking myself for not going that route from the start. Literally hours later my wife calls and tell me she found the original lip. REALLY?!?
I figure if the new lip doesn't show on Wednesday (today) I would start the painting process again on the old lip as I really wanted the lip installed before the Leavenworth Drive. I get the notice on my phone it was delivered but per my security camera nothing was there. Immediately I start fearing someone took it and start going back in my security cam history, but I can't find any record it was delivered. No FedEx truck no nothing. My sanity is start to hit a real low point now. Try to keep things in check I contact FedEx and they reach out to the driver. The driver thought he delivered it to a different unit in my townhouse complex. Apparently knocking on her door scared her so much she came down yelling at us. Both my wife and I finally get out of her that she did not get a package so we start heading home. I check my phone and see another voicemail from FedEx saying they know where it is. Apparently the eBay Seller fat-fingered my address and the FedEx driver just guessed and delivered it to some random home that didn't even have the same matching house number. I go to the house and knock on the door just in case someone was there as I could see the package was on the front. No one answered so I took it home praying this lip was ok and more importantly painted.
Back at home, I open the box and luckily it looks perfect. Thank god! I prep the trunk and clean it all down and start measuring my halfway points to get this lip all aligned and ready to be installed. It took a me a few attempts but in the end it came out good. FINALLY!!!! This M3 lip spoiler project has been a pain in the a$$, way over budget, but it is done. Up next is a good wash and wax for for the Leavenworth Drive...